The Princeton Girlchoir Ensemble is the most selective choir within the Princeton Girlchoir organization, and maintains the most active performing schedule.These independent and seasoned musicians demonstrate a high level of comprehensive skills in singing and sight-reading. Membership is by invitation only, and is drawn from both Concert Choir and Cantores.
Ensemble appears in professional venues and community collaborations throughout the season, featuring chamber music both from the traditional canon and from contemporary composers, as well as music drawn from a wide range of styles and world cultures. Recent performances include collaborations with Westminster Choir College and the College of New Jersey, singing national anthem for the NY Jets, and Carnegie Hall as guests of the New York Choral Society.
Ensemble singers are also eligible to participate in the summer tour. To learn more about recent destinations, visit our Tours page.
Many singers choose to sing concurrently in Ensemble and either Concert Choir or Cantores. However, singers have the option to sing only in Ensemble as long as they have already sung for at least one year in either Concert Choir or Cantores.
To be selected for Ensemble, singers should demonstrate:
- Mastery of singing with register consistency, resonance and placement
- Comprehensive level in sight-reading
- Mastery of ensemble awareness: vowel unification, rhythmic unification, ensemble intonation, balance, etc.
- Ability to sing multi-parts
- Musicianship and vocal abilities required Concert Choir and Cantores
Time commitment for the PGC Ensemble includes:
- 2 hour weekly rehearsals on Wednesdays
- winter and spring concerts
- some 5-15 additional performances as scheduled
The PGC Ensemble is directed by Artistic Director Dr. Lynnel Joy Jenkins.